Have you ever held back your smile in photos? Or felt socially awkward for not having a welcoming smile? Well, some people are blessed with naturally beautiful teeth, while others have invested in dental treatments to give them their confident and youthful smiles.
Professionals can completely transform your smile using ceramic restorations like veneers, crowns, inlays, onlays and bridges.
Many people are self-conscious about the condition of their teeth, feeling embarrassed to smile because it’s discolored, uneven or chipped. Ceramic restorations are one of the most effective aesthetic dentistry treatments nowadays, which can solve most of your cosmetic dental issues to achieve desirable results.
Ceramic restorations are a tooth-colored dental material (porcelain) custom-made in the lab by a dental technician and fixed over the tooth surface by your treating dentist, it can be applicable to one or multiple teeth, which will correct several dental issues thus improving the appearance of your smile.
What does Ceramic restorations fix?
Although ceramic restorations fall into the category of aesthetic dentistry because of its role in enhancing your smile with beautifully aligned and attractive teeth, it also used to restore function and healthy oral cavity.
Regardless of what caused the unpleasant condition of your teeth, ceramic restorations may solve so many dental issues, such as:
- Wear and tear: As we age, our teeth age with us. It becomes more prone to cracking, chipping or breaking which leaves it with an uneven appearance. Such restorations are capable of restoring the natural appearance of healthy, youthful teeth.
- Gaps between the teeth: Certain people are born with spaces between their teeth, which can be perfectly closed with ceramic restorations.
- Worn-down tooth enamel: The enamel can become worn or dulled naturally over time or because of a genetic predisposition. Ceramic restorations are ideal to fix and prevent further enamel wear.
- Uneven shape of the teeth: some teeth can be naturally too small or too short, causing people to be self-conscious about their smile. Ceramic restorations can effectively even out such differences.
- Staining or discoloration: Sometimes teeth can have a dull or yellowish color, whether naturally due to aging and genetic conditions or because of certain lifestyle choices (e.g. smoking). In some cases, even professional teeth whitening may not be able to fully mask tooth discoloration, while Ceramic restorations can offer a better permanent result.
- Damage caused by teeth grinding: people who suffer from teeth grinding (bruxism) may wear the enamel off their teeth by time, thus inducing extra sensitivity because the protective enamel layer is damaged and the underlying dentine layer is exposed. Ceramic restorations will restore the appearance as well as prevent the sensitivity and further enamel wear.
- Missing teeth: teeth can be lost due to several reasons such as: gum diseases, injuries and teeth decay. Ceramic restoration can replace missing teeth to restore the appearance and function.
- Cavities: ceramics can be used in some cases when cavities damage large areas of tooth structure, the strength and durability of the ceramic material makes it a better option than conventional filling material.
How to know if you`re a good candidate?
Like any other treatment dental ceramics is not the most suitable option for everyone! , It needs evaluation and treatment planning by professionals, To determine if you`re a candidate, a preliminary consultation is needed and during which your trusted dental expert will discuss with you all your concerns, needs and expectations then follow this with an evaluation of your oral health. Accordingly, all suitable treatment options will be discussed thoroughly and if ceramic restorations bear out to be your ideal solution, the next step involves preparing your teeth for your specific procedure and what will be necessary for it to appear and fit properly.
It`s essential that your goals are clearly discussed during your consultation. You should share your preferences and the changes you want in your smile, your input will help make certain that your treatment will ultimately match your expectations.
In conclusion, ceramic restorations are designed to be lifelike and personalized which is not only to cover up flaws in your teeth, but also protect your teeth from further damage in the future in some cases. Their durability is pretty amazing and it can grant you the best of everything when it comes to both function and aesthetics! So, if you fancy a beautiful natural-looking smile in the most time effective and functional way , don’t hesitate to explore this option!
Dr. Amal Alkhaldi
Aesthetic Dentistry Expert