Prof. Dr. Antonio Privitera is an internationally renowned surgeon and speaker and the only surgeon in the world to have both a Mayo Clinic (Rochester-USA) Colorectal Fellowship and a London (UK) Colorectal fellowship.
He had extensive training in general and colorectal surgery in world-renowned institutions including The John Radcliffe in Oxford (UK), The University College London Hospital (UK), St. Guy’s St. Thomas’ Hospital in London (UK), and the prestigious Mayo Clinic in Rochester- Minnesota, USA.
He completed an advanced laparoscopic and robotic colorectal fellowship in Yonsei University, South Korea, under the supervision of the world-renowned pioneer Prof. Nam Kim.
He worked as a Consultant General and Colorectal Surgeon in prestigious UK University Hospitals. Subsequently, he became the Section Head of Colorectal Surgery of the Regional Tertiary Referral Centre of the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia. His team performed the first robotic colorectal resection for cancer with the Xi Robot in Saudi Arabia.
Dr. Antonio was also the Lead Colorectal Surgeon in Tawam Hospital-John Hopkins in Abu Dhabi.
He was the author of the first publication in an American colorectal journal (DCR) of the haemorrhoidal artery ligation technique (HAL/THD).
Another area of expertise of Dr. Antonio is the treatment of abdominal wall hernias. He pioneered new techniques for hernias and was awarded an MD and PhD.
He is currently the General Secretary of the Emirates Society of Colon and Rectal Surgery (ESCRS), and Adjunct Associate Professor of Surgery in the United Arab Emirates University (UAEU).
- Minimally Invasive Surgery for haemorrhoids, anal fistula, anal fissure, and rectal prolapse (Laser, THD, VAAFT, STARR)
- Endoscopic treatment of Pilonidal Sinus (EPSIT)
- Laparoscopic Treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis)
- Laparoscopic Treatment of Colon and Rectal Cancer
- Treatment of Fecal Incontinence, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, and Chronic Constipation
- Laparoscopic treatment of Hernias of the Abdominal Wall
- Laparoscopic treatment of Gallstones and Gallbladder polyps
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Fellow of the Royal College Surgeons of England
- Fellow American Association of Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Fellow in Minimal Access Surgery
- Diploma in Minimal Access Surgery
- Advanced Fellowship in Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery