We are proud to say that our team really practices what it preaches.
For the sake of promoting healthy lifestyle and the importance of regular physical activity, more than 50 of our employees participated in Dubai’s Standard Chartered marathon. The race was 10 km long, and our team was high spirited all the way!
It’s never too late to start running. We hope our team will inspire you to start running and take part in the race next year.
Learn more about the marathon here
For the Valentine’s Day, we prepareda special offer for those who don’t want to miss their chance to spot their perfect Valentine.
Until 1st March, you can get an eye sight check-up with 25% discount for cash payments!
Book a visit with one of our experienced Ophthalmologists.
Have your love at first sight!
Teeth whitening treatment by Dr. Nuno Sarmento - Benefits and Disadvantages
Teeth whitening treatments seem to be one of the most common dental procedures. Our respected and experienced General Dentist, Dr. Nuno Sarmento, took his time to explain in more detail the common benefits and disadvantages of teeth whitening procedures.
Q: What causes changes in teeth coloration?
Dr. Sarmento: As time goes by, and as you acquire certain habits throughout your life, your teeth begin to turn yellow. This yellowing can happen due to several factors, among them: cigarettes, foods, and drinks with strong coloring, incorrect hygiene, etc. It is a fact that yellowish teeth often bother people who have to live with them because the aesthetic of teeth is one of the leading concerns of the majority of the population.
It is at this time that people start considering a dental whitening procedure, in order to be able to enjoy white teeth again. While some people turn to this treatment without thinking twice, others are still against it and prefer to seek alternatives.
In order to bring some clarity to this, we decided to go through the typical pros and cons of teeth whitening. The following is a list of standard benefits and disadvantages of teeth whitening treatments, provided by
Dr. Nuno Sarmento:
#1Teeth whitening treatments bring fast results
Unlike most other treatments, tooth whitening has immediate results. Just one hour after an in-office application, your teeth can be brightened up to six or eight shades.With at-home treatments, you might need to wait up to fifteen days.
#2It is a fast and easy way to boost self-esteem
Having white teeth again can be a factor of great importance to your self-esteem. You’ll look in the mirror and feel much better, and you’ll smile wherever you go. On the plus side, those who tend to smile more, are happier, because the brain takes a wide smile as a signal that things are going well. However, we are not trying to imply that teeth whitening treatments could be a cure for those who have troublesome thoughts.
# 3 It contributes to general oral hygiene
This is not a direct benefit of teeth whitening itself, but a prerequisite. In order to undergo a tooth-whitening treatment, you must first take care of any and all other dental problems. Usually, active peroxide chemicals are applied only to healthy teeth and gums.
If nothing else makes you eager to deal with your dental issues,a tooth-whitening treatment could be the push you need. Call OUR dental office today and schedule a general dental check-up.
Disadvantages and precautions
You can expect mild after-treatment sensitivity in your teeth. Although this is not a severe condition, and it only lasts for a few days, some people with low sensitivity threshold are annoyed by their teeth sensitivity. The pain goes away in few days after the treatment. It is a good idea to use some strengthening toothpaste and avoid extreme food and beverage temperature oscillations.
#2 Teeth can and probably will turn yellowish again
This is perhaps the most significant disadvantage of teeth whitening treatment – results are not everlasting. Once you whiten your teeth, you’ll hardly be able to accept darker shades of your smile. Even if you do your best to avoid food and drinks that are inclined to leave stain marks on your teeth, your teeth will probably lose their brightness with time.
Still, the consumption of food and other products that can stain your teeth should be limited or avoided. Some of these products include tobacco, red and white wine, soft drinks, soy sauce, and blueberries. We would strongly suggest that you avoid any artificially colored food, and naturally colored food like tomato juice, blueberries, strawberries, even red meat, and chocolate. Avoid sipping coffee by all means, and stay away from tea, as well. Carrot juice can also stain your teeth, and red wine is no longer allowed for those who prefer their smile to stay white.
# 3 Allergies can occur, but rarely
In some rare cases, allergic reaction to chemicals can occur. Peroxide is usually to blame, and it can cause irritation to the gums. Your dentist will inform you about all technical and medical details and precautions, before the treatment.
Not all teeth whitening treatments are the same, and it’s best that you let professionals whiten your teeth.We would recommend Zoom!® Whitening solution, since the Zoom!® light produces minimal heat, which is usually the source of discomfort. You should also keep in mind that we wouldn’t recommend teeth whitening treatment for children younger than thirteen years old, and pregnant and breastfeeding women shouldalso avoid it.
Whitening treatments may not be as effective for some people as they are for others. You are the one who will decide if a whitening treatment is the right option for you, but you should base this decision on recommendations and opinions provided by your dental caregiver.
Teeth Whitening–Q&A with Dr. Aleksandra Ivetic
Teeth whitening is one the most common aesthetic procedures in dentistry, and, in recent years, it has become very popular. Still, many of us have numerous questions, doubts and even fears surrounding the idea of the treatment. To disperse those nagging questions and doubts, we asked Dr. Aleksandra Ivetic* to provide us with professional and honest answers.
1. Is teeth whitening safe?
Dr. Aleksandra:Over the years, professionals and patients have been evaluating teeth whitening techniques. The results obtained both in the dental office and at home are virtually guaranteed. Doctors used Peroxide for tooth whitening in 1884, for the first time. Despite the desire for whiter, brighter smile, many people have concerns about the possible dangers of teeth whitening. Remember, proper application is essential to the safety of teeth whitening.
2. What is the main difference between at-home teeth whitening and in-office treatment?
Dr. Aleksandra:An in-office tooth whitening solution ismore efficient than at-home whitening. The teeth whitening treatment we use in our office is professional grade. This form of teeth whitening requires the supervision of a dentist and a trained dental technician. We also use stronger bleaching agents which have been known to enhance a smile by several shades, even up to eight shades.
With in-office whitening, the dentist applies a professional-grade bleaching gel directly to the teeth. After that, the dentist uses a unique light to activate the gel’s whitening power. Unlike most other treatments, tooth whitening has fast results –just one hour if you will do it in the dental chair or up to fifteen days with home whitening kit.
The home whitening option lets you take home a professional whitening kit to use on your own time. This is a popular method because it combines the convenience of at-home treatments with the strength of professional whitening.
While individual results depend on your diet and oral habits, most take-home whitening kits can usually last for several months. Typically, a patient will only need to repeat the treatment once or twice a year. The trays have a special whitening gel that gently updates the shade of your teeth.
3. What is the natural color of teeth, and what makes them turn yellow?
Dr. Aleksandra:Natural pearly white teeth are a rare blessing for only a few lucky people, but most people’s teeth are naturally a couple of shades darker. Natural teeth are not bright-white, and we can find traces of yellow or grey undertone in most people’s teeth.
To understand the reason why, let me explain you the anatomy of the tooth. On the outside, we have a layer of enamel, which is a bluish-white color. But enamel is translucent, which allows the layer of dentin below to show through.
Dentin is a darker yellow color, and this is what gives teeth an off-white appearance. So, it’s the shade and thickness of your tooth enamel which determines the color of your teeth. If you brush and floss every day but your teeth are still yellow, it may just be that they are naturally that shade.
Previously mentioned tooth structure is an intrinsic reason for yellow teeth. There are also extrinsic factors that can make your teeth yellowish.
Following are the leading lifestyle-related causes that add to darker teeth color:
- Food – Foods like curries, tomato sauces, berries, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, beetroot, etc.)
- Beverages – coffee and tea are two of the most common causes of yellow teeth. Red and white wine are also to blame, fizzy drinks, citrus fruits, and juices, sports drinks.
- Medication or Illness- antibiotics such as tetracycline and amoxicillin can affect the color of teeth, especially in younger children. Drugs prescribed to adults for allergies and high blood pressure may also have this side effect.Certain illnesses, particularly those that affect the liver, can result in discolored teeth. Patients who undergo chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer may also find their teeth turning a brownish hue.
- Excessive Fluoride Intake – Fluoride is good for teeth, but excess fluoride can cause yellow or brownish yellow spots called fluorosis.
- Accidents – Impact of an accident or physical trauma can crack tooth enamel and damage the tooth’s interior. This leads to discoloration that may indicate bleeding that needs professional attention.
- Tooth Grinding – An unconscious habit some people have when they’re stressed, especially while asleep. Also known as bruxism, it’s quite harmful to tooth enamel, weakening it to the point of cracking and yellowing.
- Wear/ Ageing – Teeth ultimately turn yellow as you get older, when enamel wears away from chewing and exposure to acids from food and drink. Most teeth turn yellow as this enamel thins with age.
4. Are there any precautions or specific procedures you usually recommend to your patients before teeth whitening?
Dr. Aleksandra:If you want to whiten your teeth, the best place to start is with a healthy mouth. Start with a dental check-up. We will evaluate, diagnose and treat any pressing oral health conditions. We’ll also advise you about different options to safely and effectively whiten your teeth.
Tooth decay, sensitive or cracked teeth, infections or periodontal problems should be diagnosed and treated before any tooth whitening procedure. Otherwise, you could experience discomfort.
Before the procedure itself, you should eat, brush and floss your teeth.
However, it’s a good idea for patients to undergo a professional dental cleaning before any elective dental procedure. One additional thing to note is that if you are prone to tooth sensitivity, it may be a good idea to brush your teeth with an anti-sensitivity toothpaste in the days leading up to your whitening treatment. These toothpaste formulas have agents that strengthen tooth enamel for reduced sensitivity to whitening (as well as to hot and cold).
5. What are typical side-effects of teeth whitening?
Dr. Aleksandra:A common side effect is tooth sensitivity. This is because the whitening gel’s active ingredient, hydrogen peroxide, works its way into the enamel to reduce or remove stains near the surface. As a result, it may also interact with the top of the dentin layer. This is a softer and more sensitive tissue layer within teeth.
Patients who already have eroded enamel or exposed dentin are likely to experience more prolonged sensitivity. Depending on the patient, this sensitivity can vary from a mild, dull ache to the sporadic pain that shoots through the center of the tooth. Regardless, any instance of increased sensitivity should last no longer than a few days after treatment.
Additionally, there are a few steps you can take to reduce any discomfort: avoid extreme temperatures, very hot or cold temperatures of food or drinks. Use a brand of toothpaste that specializes in sensitive teeth prophylaxis. These kinds of toothpaste have ingredients that will less likely harm weakened enamel or exposed dentin tissue. Consider switching to a sensitive-formula toothpaste around the time of treatment.
Another side-effect Is the possibility of gum irritation. The whitening gel is meant to interact with tooth enamel. It can cause temporary burns when coming in contact with softer tissues, such as gums.
These burns result in no permanent damage, leaving only irritation and discoloration that should gradually disappear in the coming days. By holding the cheeks away from teeth and isolating the treatment area from the gums, we can ensure that little if any gel touches nearby gum tissue.
A tiny percentage of people experience an allergic-type reaction.If a gel touches soft mouth tissue, some patients experience a burning and blistering of the gums and/or lips. If this occurs, discontinue use immediately, rinse the irritated area well, and consult us as soon as possible.
‘Bleachorexia,’ as it has become known, is an obsession with cosmetic dentistry in order to achieve perfect looking white teeth. ‘Bleachorexics’ are those who constantly undergo teeth whitening to counteract insecurities with tooth stains and tooth discoloration.
If you whiten your teeth too often, you may notice that your teeth begin to appear grey or translucent. This is opposed to the creamy white shade everyone desires to see after whitening their teeth.
6. Could you tell us more about the procedure itself. How long does the treatment last?
Dr. Aleksandra:With our innovative “Zoom! Whitening” procedure, we can easily make teeth whiter during a single, one-hour procedure. To begin the treatment, we’ll place a shield over your lips, gums, and tongue to make sure only your tooth enamel is exposed. Then we’ll cover the teeth that show when you smile, with the bleaching gel. Finally, we’ll activate the substance under the unique Zoom! light.
Together, the formula penetrates below the surface of teeth to break up even the most persistent stains and discoloration. After three 15-minute exposures to the Zoom! light, the results are in, and your smile has never looked brighter. To finish the treatment, we’ll apply a strengthening fluoride treatment for reduced sensitivity.
7. What happens after the teeth whitening treatment?
Dr. Aleksandra:It’s no secret that people love a bright white smile. But if you’re one of the thousands of people each year who have teeth whitening treatment, you know that the effects of whitening, unfortunately, don’t last forever.
Even the best whitening needs to be touched up every now and then. Eventually, your teeth will need to be re-whitened. Generally, an in-office teeth whitening treatment results can last anywhere from six months to two, three years, even more.
Here are some tips on how to prolong results of your whitening treatment:
- Periodic Touch-Ups: Occasional whitening re-treatments approximately every six months or annually, can be a great way to maintain the effects. For home maintenance, we will need to make bleaching trays and will take impressions for this at the first appointment.
- Avoid Pigmented Foods and Drinks: Reducing consumption of highly staining foods or drinks can help slow the discoloration of your teeth. You can also use a straw while drinking coffee or tea to reduce contact with your teeth.
Afterward, you will be sent home with touch-up trays to maintain your new white smile. The effects of the treatment vary in length from person to person, depending on their diet and oral habits.
However, with regular brushing and touch-ups, you should only need an in-office whitening once or twice each year. Switching to a whitening toothpaste and mouthwash can also help to maintain the results of your Zoom! Whitening.
Our Dental Centre won an award!
We are happy to share that Dubai London Clinic Dental Centre has been announced as the Bronze winner at Mother Baby & Child Awards 2017, in the category Dental Care Provider of the Year!
We are proud to be side by side with some truly big name, among the BEST UAE parenting brands of 2017.
We’ll keep up the good work and continue to be the winning support for all our dental patients.
Special discounts and offers, with love from our Aesthetic department.
- 20% discount on Botox. Fillers. PRP. Mesotherapy. Chemical Peels and Dermarollers
- 40% discount on Laser for hair removal
- 25% discount on Laser for vein removal
- Purchase any aesthetic treatment worth 500AED and get a free consultation with our Specialist Dermatologist, Dr. Umesh Nihalani
Offers are exclusively available at the Dubai London Clinic Festival City Mall Branch and Dubai London Clinic Speciality Hospital.
Please call Dubai London Clinic Festival City Mall Branch in advance to schedule your appointment.
The consultation with our Dermatologist is not free unless 500AED worth purchase is made
P Shot Dubai – A simple, safe and long-lasting medical solution for problems with erection
Delivering long-lasting health benefits and improvements in sexual performance for men, P-Shot is the latest medical procedure for the treatment of erectile dysfunction and Peyronie’s disease that is proven to be superior to other available treatments.
How does the P-Shot® work?
What are the benefits of this procedure?
P-Shot stands for the globally branded method Priapus Shot®, protected by the US Patent & Trademark office, which employs blood-derived growth factors for penis rejuvenation. More precisely, the method relies on injecting the one’s own plasma enriched growth factors or PRP into specific areas of the penis to rejuvenate the penile tissue.
The main benefits of the procedure are:
- Solving erectile dysfunction and providing a better quality of erection (stronger and straighter penis)
- Improved circulation that brings long-lasting results and a healthier genital organ
- A significant increase in sexual sensation and pleasure
- Penis size increase (per patient’s wish, the injection can be targeted in penis base, head or any other part, for the maximum results)
- Correcting the health damage to erection caused by diabetes
- Available to patients who suffer from some other conditions
- Improving the results from other associated ED therapies (various pills, etc…)
- Causing no lumpiness or allergic reactions as it uses the patient’s own body fluids
- The procedure is minimally-invasive compared to other available treatments
- It is scientifically tested and proven to work in multiple studies
What does the procedure look like?
P Shot® treatment, thoroughly explained
When it comes to such a sensitive area of a male body, it is only natural that most patients are interested in learning all about the method to avoid any feeling of fear or discomfort. For this reason, we will thoroughly explain the P Shot® procedure in detail.
- To prepare it for the shot, a numbing cream is applied to the patient’s penis.
- The patient gets his blood taken from the arm, the same way as it is done during a blood test.
- The blood taken is then put in a special centrifuge machine, which separates the Platelets Rich Plasma from other blood cells.
- Then, the Platelets Rich Plasma is transferred into a different tube and a few drops of calcium chloride solution trick the platelets into “thinking” that they are in the patient’s body, and that the body has been injured, so the growth factors are activated. Because of that effect, the platelets release growth factors into the tube’s liquid.
- This liquid is injected in different places of the penis, using a tiny needle. All this is done by a trained specialist in the clinical environment.
The greatest thing about this treatment is that there is an actual growth of new tissue, caused by stimulation of unipotent stem cells. The positive changes in erection and penis size do not come as the result of an implant or an artificial treatment, but from the rejuvenating effect on a man’s body. The platelet-rich fibrin matrix (PRFM) stimulates the blood flow with new blood vessels providing long-lasting positive results.
When can I expect the improvement?
How fast will the results be visible?
Although there are many patients who feel the benefit immediately after the injection, the majority experiences the gradual improvement over the course of 2 to 3 months. Over this period, patients experience 10-20% increase in penis length and girth. Girth increase comes first with the injection, and then with continued growth, over a period of time, the length increases as well.
Does all bodies equally accept the treatment?
Who is a Good Candidate for the P-shot?
The beauty of the treatment lies in the fact that any man who wants to improve his sexual health and performance without taking medication and/or any other external treatment can get the P-Shot® treatment. The procedure is completely safe as the body simply accepts the injection as its own factors.
The aim of the treatment is to improve blood circulation, which is the main cause for erectile dysfunction and Peyronie’s disease. So, even the patients who suffer from diabetes, hypertension, and other diseases can try it and benefit from this safe and easy treatment. Injection of one’s Plasma after centrifuging it and separating the stem cells and the growth factors from the other blood cells implies that PRP will be highly concentrated in factors beneficial for long-term sexual health.
Is there someone who cannot get the full benefit of the P-shot?
The only segment of male population that does not react well enough to this procedure are – smokers. Why is that? The tests have shown that the P Shot does not work well in smokers for the same reason that a plastic surgeon would avoid doing a facelift or breast implants on a smoker – the poisons in cigarettes have a devastating effect on the growth of the stem cells recruited and fertilized by the PRP. So, if the patient is a smoker, he has to stop smoking in order to have the P Shot procedure. This is something that is a great opportunity for the patient to stop smoking, as it has other damaging effects on his health. Smokers are twice as likely to suffer from erectile dysfunction than nonsmokers, because smoking harms circulation in all body areas, including the genitals, causing the inability to keep an erection.
Which specialist performs the procedure?
Meet our certified P-Shot Dubai specialist
Dr. Anis Haddad, Specialist in Urology (Urologist, Andrologist & Sexologist)
All P-Shot procedures are done by our specially trained specialist who is a member of Priapus Shot provider group. Dr. Anis Haddad is a French-graduated Urologist with a range of special interests spanning from Prostatic Surgeries, Varicocele Surgery, Female Incontinence Surgeries TVT-TOT to the Urinary stones and Sexual health. He finished his postgraduate studies at the best French universities and gained a wide experience in the Urology field, having invested his time in working in the most renowned Urology department in Paris.
Before joining Dubai London Hospital, Dr. Anis Haddad worked in Medcare Hospital in Dubai for two years, and many teaching and regional hospitals in France where he got his extensive experience in all Urology fields. Dr. Haddad speaks French, Arabic and English.
Please bear in mind that only members of Priapus Shot® provider group have the necessary knowledge and understanding of the method. That is why they are licensed to use the method name for the patients’ safety and protection. The group members are obliged to follow P Shot standards, which relate to the lab equipment used for the preparation of platelets to go back into the body (as approved by the FDA), and to the performance of this very specific methods. Take care from specialists who offer similar methods but do not have a license, as the procedure they offer can be less effective or even dangerous to your health. Make sure that you only take the P Shot from a certified P Shot member.
Where is the procedure performed?
ABOUT THE CLINIC
DUBAI LONDON CLINIC & SPECIALITY HOSPITAL
Taking care of family health
Dubai London Clinic & Speciality Hospital provides day-to-day medical services and high quality medical consultation from our specialists to patients of all age groups. We feature the latest medical equipment and offer expert advice and diagnostic services, such as Diagnostic Imaging (X-ray, ultrasound, mammography) Pathology / Laboratory tests, Travel medicine and Nutritional advice and a great number of machines for Wellbeing and Aesthetic procedures, the same as those used by premium clinics around the world. The experts in our team are globally renowned specialists who bring the most advanced methods and techniques to Dubai. With Dr. Haddad as a certified specialist and all equipment necessary for a successful P Shot treatment, you will have your treatment in the best clinical environment available in Dubai and UAE.
Why would you use P-Shot instead of some other available treatment?
A comparison of P-Shot procedure with other available methods
Oral medications vs. P-Shot
The most common method of treating erectile dysfunction is oral medication. All these enhance the effect of nitric oxide, a natural body chemical that relaxes penis muscles. This type of treatment is fine but it might not treat the problem immediately, as the patient needs to work with doctor on finding the right medicine and dosage that is right for him. Medications do not work in all men and might be less effective in certain conditions. Patients who had prostate surgery or suffer from diabetes often do not get the same effect, which is the main difference compared to the P Shot effect, which is equally effective for all men, even for those with certain health conditions. The studies also show that associating P shot to the Oral medication will make the oral medications more efficient.
Penis pump vs. P-Shot
A vacuum erection device or a penis pump is an empty tube with a battery or hand-powered pump. The tube needs to be placed over the penis and used to suck out the air inside. The vacuum thus created pulls the blood into the penis. After getting an erection, a man needs to place a tension ring around his penis base to hold in the blood and keep the penis straight and firm. Then the vacuum device can be removed. From all this explained, it is obvious that this sort of procedure is not quite convenient as it has to be done immediately before the sexual act, and it lasts just long enough for the duration of a sexual intercourse. Moreover, possible side effects are bruising, and ejaculation restricted by the band. With P Shot, you do not have to take the procedure more than once and the effects are long-lasting, fixing your health problem permanently and do not ask you to repeat the unpleasant methods over and over again.
Penile implants vs. P-Shot
Penile implants is a surgical procedure used for implanting devices into both sides of a penis. The implants can have either inflatable or bendable rods and allow a man to control when and how long he can have an erection. Being a surgical method, this procedure is definitely not proposed to a patient until all other treatments have been tried. As with any other surgical procedure, it involves a risk from infections and complications. P Shot injection is a minimally invasive procedure that involves no such risks and does not ask from a patient to take such a controlled approach to his erection, but rather solves the problem with the help of patient’s fluids, in a simple, safe and long-lasting way.
Vascular Reconstructive Surgery vs. P Shot
The least effective and popular treatment for erectile dysfunction and Peyronie’s disease is the vascular reconstructive surgery. During the surgery, the aim is to bypass the blocked arteries that caused the erection problems in the first place. An artery is transferred from a muscle in the belly to the one in the penis, creating a path for unrestricted blood flow. Even doctors rarely recommend this treatment, as it is technically demanding and extremely costly an only 1 out of 20 men react well to it. It works better for younger patients who suffered some genital injury. Compared to any other treatment, and especially to the P Shot, this procedure is the least pleasant, convenient and effective.
If you want to learn more about the treatment or book a consultation with our specialist, please fill in the form below and we will contact you shortly.
The day before surgery
- If you are staying in the hospital overnight, you need to pack a bag that a friend or family member can bring to your room after surgery. Items to include: hearing aids, hair supplies, and other toiletries, housecoat, socks and slippers.
- Do not bring money, jewelry or valuables. The hospital will not take responsibility for your belongings.
- Call family or friends who may be able to help you after surgery. Plan for one of them to be with you the day you go home.
- Arrange for a friend or family member to drive you home when you are discharged from the hospital.
Before you arrive
- Please inform your surgeon’s office if you have a cold, fever or illness of any kind. Your operation date may need to be changed.
- If you are going home the same day, you must have a responsible adult drive you home and stay with you overnight. Your clothes and belongings will be given to your companion for safe keeping and he or she will bring them to you once you have settled into your post-operative bed.
- If you are taking blood thinner medications or herbal supplements you may be asked to stop them a few days before your surgery.
Your anaethesiologist will advise you which medications you need to take (with sips of water) before you leave your home to come to the hospital. Please bring your medications with you in their original containers.
If you have diabetes
- Do not take any insulin or oral diabetic medication on the day of surgery. The Anaesthetist will advise you when to resume your medications.
Getting ready for surgery
On the day of your surgery, please arrive 2 hours before your booked time of surgery and head to the main reception to register, Right Side (main entrance), ground floor. Please do not bring more than one person with you.
What to expect
- You’ll be seated in the waiting area until your name is called.
- A registered nurse will come and take you to your room where you will be prepared for surgery. (This may take up to an hour.)
- You will have an intravenous started and your paperwork will be completed. At this time, the Anaesthetist and your Surgeon will come and see you.
- Once you have been prepared for surgery, you may stay with your companion until the operating room is ready for you.
The day of surgery
Hygiene and accessories
- Shower and wash your hair. Do not shave your surgical area.
- Remove all makeup and nail polish.
- Remove all jewelry (including wedding bands) and all body piercings before you come to the hospital; otherwise, they will be removed pre-operatively.
- Wear a medic-alert bracelet if you own one.
- Do not use perfume, cologne, aftershave, hairspray or scented cream on the day of your surgery. It is not allowed in the operating room.
Food and drink
- Do not eat any food after midnight.
- Do not drink milk, orange juice (any juice with pulp) or alcohol after midnight.
- You may drink clear fluids up to four hours before your surgery. Clear fluids include:
- Apple or cranberry juice
- Clear broth
- Soft drinks
- Black tea or coffee (you may have sugar, but not milk, cream or whiteners)
- Do not drink, chew gum or eat candy for four hours before your surgery.
- Brush your teeth and rinse your mouth on the morning of surgery, but do not swallow any toothpaste.
If you smoke, try to stop, or at least decrease the amount before your surgery. Do not smoke on the day of your surgery. DLSH is a smoke-free environment.
Being a valued patient in the Dubai London Clinic & Speciality Hospital, you and your family have the following Rights:
- Fully understand and practice all your rights. If, for any reason, you don’t understand them, please contact customer relation office for any help including providing an interpreter (If any).
- Receive impartial care and respect of your personal values and beliefs from all staff without discrimination, according to DHA’s rules and regulations.
- Receive comprehensive medical care aiming at reaching proper medical diagnosis and treatment of your illness and/or your injury.
- Receive immediate care in emergency cases.
- Know the identity (name & specialty) of the physician responsible for your care.
- Receive comprehensive information about your diagnosis, proposed treatment, any changes in your health status and causes of such changes, alternative treatments, probabilities of treatment success or failure, therapy advantages and disadvantages, possible problems related to treatment and expected results of ignoring the treatment in a simple understandable manner.
- Have an interpreter (upon availability) if the language presents a barrier to understanding details of your comprehensive medical care.
- Give your written General Consent for treatment at DLCSH upon admission to the hospital.
- Give your written informed consent before any surgery, minimally invasive procedure, anesthesia, transfusion of blood and blood products, or any other medical procedures that entail your written consent (according to DHA’s rules and regulations) after receiving all information that you may need. This must include the procedure benefits, available alternatives and all possible risks.
- Participate in your care decision-making. DLCSH encourages patients, parents or legal guardians to participate in planning and implementing the treatment with nurses and physicians.
- Obtain a medical report and a copy of medical test results from the Medical Records Section (upon your request), for which the hospital will charge you according as per DHA’s rules and regulations.
- Expect privacy during the performance of all examinations, procedures, and treatment at the hospital, and DLCSH maintains confidentiality of all your information.
- Choose the treating team doctor (upon availability and upon operational needs).
- Refuse the treatment. Thus, the treating doctor must inform you of the medical consequences of your refusal. Accordingly, you shall sign a form with your decision.
- Refuse examination or follow-up of your treatment details by any person not directly responsible for your care. For persons who are not directly involved in your treatment, they must have your prior permission to attend your case discussion, examination and treatment.
- Be protected during treatment from any physical, verbal or psychological assault.
- Receive information from the treating doctor (in case you would like to donate any body organ) about donation process including advantages and potential disadvantages.
- Have a family member or guardian as an escort depending on your availability and your health status, as per DHA’s rules and regulations.
- Receive complete explanation of causes to be transferred to another care center, consequent obligations (financial and administrative – if any) and alternatives. Then, the hospital / specialized center management will make all necessary arrangements to obtain the alternate medical center’s approval to receive the referred patient before starting the transfer process.
- Receive – upon your request – an itemized bill explaining all charges regardless paid by yourself or by other sources.
- You have the right to suggest and complain on services through the Customer Relation Office or by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org
- View your medical record under the supervision of the treating doctor or medical team staff, according to DHA’s rules and regulations.
- You have the right to get appropriate assessment and management of pain through well-known therapies and to get all necessary information in this regard.
- In case of any new scientific research conducted by DLCSH pertaining to your treatment, your doctor will inform you on all related issues including potential benefits and risks, therapeutic alternatives and medical research protocol details.
- If you are asked to participate in a medical research, you have the right to give a written consent or refuse. You also have the right to end your participation at any time for any reason. This will not compromise the quality of medical services provided to you.
- Get a second opinionwithin or outside the hospital/ center without fear of compromise to your care.
Being a valued patient in the Dubai London Clinic & Speciality Hospital, you and your family have the following Responsibilities:
- Respect the hospital’s rules and regulations.
- Show consideration for others and deal with other patients and staff with respect.
- Respect the privacy and comfort of other patients.
- Provide complete and accurate information about present complaints, past illness, previous hospitalization and treatment and any known drug allergy.
- Follow the treating doctor’s instructions.
- Hold the responsibility for refusing or not following the treatment plan, after being informed about the potential consequences of this decision.
- Avoid delay in taking appointment from the Appointment Office/ Medical Records Section, as soon as it is requested by the doctor.
- Attend the appointment on time. If you want to cancel it, inform the Appointment Office 48 hours in advance.
- Respect the priority given to emergency cases.
- Observe safety regulations including the no-smoking policy, maintaining the cleanliness of the place, hand hygiene etc…
- Ensure that financial obligations due for DLCSH are fulfilled promptly (if any).
- Give requested samples and attend medical checkup on time.
- Avoid bringing valuable personal belongings to the hospital. The hospital will not be held responsible for loss of/damage to such belongings. However; in emergency cases, you must notify nurses and give them these valuables in the presence of the hospital security staff against duly special forms. You must keep a copy of this form and verify recipient’s official identity. The hospital management is not responsible for any consequences resulting from non-adherence to above instructions.
What is Periodontitis?
Periodontal diseases (periodontitis) are infections that destroy the gums and the supporting bone that holds your teeth.
What Causes Periodontitis?
The main cause of periodontitis is bacterial plaque, a sticky film that constantly forms on the teeth. If the plaque is not removed, it can turn into a hard substance called calculus or tartar. The bacteria in plaque infect the gums and release toxins that cause redness and inflammation. This causes destruction of the tissues that support the teeth, including the bone. When this happens, the gums separate from the teeth forming pockets that fill with even more plaque causing even more infection. Periodontitis can also be caused or made worse by several other factors. These include tobacco use, genetics, stress, medication and other diseases such as diabetes.
What are the Symptoms?
Periodontal diseases do not always cause noticeable symptoms. Some people may have periodontitis but may be unaware that they have the disease until they see a dentist. Some people with periodontal diseases notice changes in their mouth including:
- Red, swollen or tender gums
- Bleeding when brushing or flossing
- Receding gums
- Loose or separating teeth
- Pus or discharge from the gums
- Persistent bad breath
- A change in the way your teeth meet when you bite
Can Periodontitis be Treated?
Periodontal diseases can be successfully managed with careful treatment. The treatment of periodontal diseases can vary, depending on how far the disease has progressed. If diagnosed and treated in the early stages before significant bone loss has occurred, more complex treatment can be avoided.
Good oral hygiene and professional care are the keys to keeping your teeth for a lifetime. The best way to prevent periodontal diseases is to remove the bacterial plaque by thorough brushing and flossing every day. Good oral hygiene habits will help keep the formation of plaque to a minimum. Preventing or controlling periodontal diseases is a worthwhile commitment that will keep you smiling for life.
How is Periodontitis Treated?
Periodontal treatment involves meticulous cleaning of the root surfaces underneath the gums to remove plaque, toxins and tartar from pockets around the teeth. This procedure is much more intensive than a routine scale and polish, which traditionally occurs every three or six months. The treatment is carried out under local anaesthetic, to numb the area prior to treatment. This is usually the first type of treatment recommended for most periodontal patients because scientific research has consistently demonstrated that thorough treatment reduces gingival inflammation and pocket depths.
Will Further Treatment be Necessary?
Periodontal surgery procedures may be recommended if there are pockets that are too deep to clean with normal daily oral hygiene measures. The gum tissue can be gently folded back to allow further removal of the disease-causing bacteria before securing the tissue back into place. In some cases, irregular surfaces of the damaged bone are smoothed to remove areas where bacteria can hide. This allows the gum tissue to re-attach to healthy bone. Reducing pocket depths and eliminating existing bacteria are important to prevent damage caused by the progression of periodontal disease and to maintain a healthy smile. Eliminating bacteria alone may not be sufficient to prevent disease recurrence. Deeper pockets are more difficult to keep clean, so it’s important that they are reduced. Shallow pockets and a combination of daily oral hygiene and professional maintenance care increase your chances of keeping your natural teeth.
Can the Effects of Periodontitis be Reversed?
In certain cases, regenerative procedures can reverse some of the damage caused by periodontal diseases by recreating lost bone and tissue. During treatment, membranes, bone grafts or tissue-stimulating proteins can be used to encourage your body’s natural ability to regenerate bone and tissue. There are many options to enhance the support for your teeth and to restore your bone to a healthy level. Eliminating existing bacteria and regenerating bone and tissue helps to reduce pocket depth and repair damage caused by the progression of periodontal diseases.
How can I Prevent Periodontitis in Future?
Once the gum disease (periodontitis) has been controlled, most patients will require regular periodontal maintenance procedures to keep their gums healthy. This ongoing phase of treatment will allow the periodontist to assess your gums and make sure that the infection stays under control or remains eliminated. During these appointments, your mouth will be examined, new calculus and plaque will be removed and, if necessary, further treatment can be discussed. Without careful ongoing treatment, periodontal diseases can and often do recur.