Ramadan Skin Care
In what ways can fasting affect your skin?
- Benefits of Ramadan Fasting are now recognized by science as well. Intermittent fasting has many potential benefits. During Ramadan, the faith and devotion adds to the benefits. But it takes some time for the effect to settle in.
- During first few days, when the blood sugar is dropping, blood pressure is dropping, hunger pains and headaches makes things worse. That is when the body start its cleansing process. These symptoms are more severe when there is high caffeine intake. Skin looks dull, there can be loss of glow, puffiness around eyes. It can be very dehydrated
- After few days, the skin along with other body organs starts to heal when blood cells get in activation mode. Skin slowly starts recovering
- Once the healing process is back on tract, one can observe the inflammation in the skin getting better, pigmentation starts to improve, the skin gains glow. The healing process is lot better than it used to be.
Are there any potential skin benefits to be reaped from fasting?
- Intermittent Fasting with proper diet and hydration can reduce inflammation of the skin, can make pigmentation better, improves glow of the skin
Can you share some tips for keeping your skin and lips hydrated during Ramadan?
- Hydrate and Hydrate again – hydrate your skin internally and externally. Internally during non-fasting hours. And externally while both fasting and non-fasting hours. Make sure you drink enough water while non fasting hours which is recommended (2 litres a day)
- Avoid excessive sun exposure
- Cut down on caffeine – it can dehydrate the skin faster
- Cut down on smoking
- Cut down on sugars – Sugars are inflammatory, which can cover the anti-inflammatory benefits of intermittent fasting
- Cut down on Carbs
- Nuts – right in unsaturated fats, eating handful of nuts everyday have substantial benefits by providing wholesome natural oils
- Avoid very hot water for showers
- Good hydrating facials can be of benefit in very dry skin, can be done during the period of fasting or later
- Meso Fillers are excellent to maintain hydration for long in the lips and skin. can be done during the period of fasting or later
What are the must-have products to keep on hand for maintaining healthy skin during Ramadan?
- Good non oily or non-greasy moisturizer which suits your skin
- Lip balms having natural ingredients like beeswax and Vitamin E
- Sunscreen with at least SPF 30, should be applied regularly as recommended
Are there certain foods one should avoid that can cause skin problems?
- Caffeine – can dehydrate the skin and body faster
- Sugars – which are inflammatory
- Carbs – healthy wholesome carbs can be consumed instead
- Processed foods – like junk foods, colas should be avoided
- Saturated fats – fried foods should be restricted